- April 21, 2017
- Posted by: CIP Journal
- Category: Passports
Cyprus passport is rated as one of the best european passports in the World. The world passport rankings is provided by Henley visa restrictions index and Nomad Capital index which are listed as below.
|Passport Rank||Visa Free countries|
|Visa Restrictions Index 2017||16||158|
|Nomad Capital Index 2017||38||159|
Cyprus is the largest island in the eastern Mediterranean as well as being the third smallest country in the EU, after Malta and Luxembourg.
Geographical size: 9 251 km²
Population: 847 008 (2015)
Population as % of total EU: 0.2 % (2015)
Gross domestic product (GDP): € 17.421 billion (2015)
Official EU language(s): Greek
Political system: presidential republic
EU member country since: 1 May 2004
Seats in the European Parliament: 6
Currency: Euro. Member of the eurozone since 1 January 2008
Schengen area member? No, Cyprus is not a member a member of the Schengen Area.
The Nomad Passport Index was designed to educate global citizens about the true value of the world’s citizenships. It ranks the value of citizenship in and, by extension the passport of, 199 countries and territories in the world based on five factors: • Visa-free travel – 50% of ranking • Taxation – 20% of ranking • Perception – 10% of ranking • Dual citizenship – 10% of ranking • Overall freedom – 10% of ranking
The Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index is a global ranking of countries according to the travel freedom that their citizens enjoy. For more than a decade, Henley & Partners has analysed global visa regulations to present an index ranking each country and territory in the world by the number of countries that their citizens can travel to visa-free. The index is produced in cooperation with the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which maintains the world’s largest database of travel information, and is published annually.
Citizenship by investment
It is possible to invest €2,000,000 euros in cyprus real estate and qualify for instant citizenship in cyprus within 6 months under the Naturalisation by exception scheme (Cyprus CIP) . Cyprus also has cheaper version of permanent residency scheme, by buying a property for €275,000
Visa free countries for Cypriot passport
|Country||Visa requirement||Notes (excluding departure fees)|
|Albania||Visa not required||90 days; ID card valid|
|Andorra||Visa not required||ID card valid|
|Antigua and Barbuda||Visa not required||3 months|
|Argentina||Visa not required||90 days|
|Armenia||Visa not required||180 days|
|Australia||eVisitor||90 days on each visit in 12-month period if granted.|
|Austria||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Bahamas||Visa not required||3 months|
|Bahrain||Visa on arrival||14 days. Visa is also obtainable online.|
|Bangladesh||Visa on arrival||30 days|
|Barbados||Visa not required||3 months|
|Belarus||Visa not required||5 days, must arrive via Minsk International Airport|
|Belgium||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Belize||Visa not required||1 month|
|Bolivia||Visa on arrival||90 days|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Visa not required||90 days within any 6 month period; ID card valid|
|Botswana||Visa not required||90 days|
|Brazil||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Brunei||Visa not required||90 days|
|Bulgaria||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Burkina Faso||Visa required|
|Cambodia||Visa on arrival||30 days. Visa is also obtainable online.|
|Canada||Visa not required||6 months; eTA required if arriving by air.|
|Cape Verde||Visa on arrival|
|Central African Republic||Visa required|
|Chile||Visa not required||90 days|
|China||Visa required||72-hours visa free visit when in transit at Beijing, Changsha, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Guilin, Harbin, Kunming, Qingdao, Shenyang, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xi’an and Xiamen.
144-hours visa free visit when in transit at Hangzhou, Nanjing and Shanghai’s Hongqiao and Pudong international airports, Railway Station and port.
|Colombia||Visa not required||90 days – extendable up to 180-days stay within a one year period|
|Comoros||Visa on arrival|
|Republic of the Congo||Visa required|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||Visa required|
|Costa Rica||Visa not required||90 days|
|Côte d’Ivoire||Visa required|
|Croatia||Visa not required||Freedom of movement (HR); ID card valid|
|Cuba||Tourist Card required|
|Czech Republic||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Denmark||Visa not required||Freedom of movement (DK); ID card valid|
|Djibouti||Visa on arrival|
|Dominica||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Dominican Republic||Visa not required||90 days (10 USD Tourist Card must be purchased upon arrival)|
|Ecuador||Visa not required||90 days|
|Egypt||Visa on arrival||30 days|
|El Salvador||Visa not required||3 months|
|Equatorial Guinea||Visa required|
|Estonia||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Fiji||Visa not required||4 months|
|Finland||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|France||Visa not required||Freedom of movement (in Regions of France); ID card valid|
|Gabon||eVisa||Electronic visa holders must arrive via Libreville International Airport.|
|Gambia||Visa not required||90 days|
|Georgia||Visa not required||1 year; ID card valid|
|Germany||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Greece||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Grenada||Visa not required||3 months|
|Guatemala||Visa not required||90 days|
|Guinea-Bissau||Visa on arrival||90 days|
|Haiti||Visa not required||90 days|
|Honduras||Visa not required||3 months|
|Hungary||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Iceland||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|India||e-Visa||60 days; e-Visa holders must arrive via 24 designated airports or 3 designated seaports.|
|Indonesia||Visa not required||30 days|
|Iran||Visa on arrival||30 days|
|Iraq||Visa required||Visa on arrival for 15 days at Erbil and Sulaymaniyah airports.|
|Ireland||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Israel||Visa not required||3 months|
|Italy||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Jamaica||Visa not required|
|Japan||Visa not required||90 days|
|Jordan||Free visa on arrival||Conditions apply|
|Kazakhstan||Visa not required||30 days|
|Kenya||Visa not required||3 months|
|Kiribati||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|North Korea||Visa required|
|South Korea||Visa not required||30 days|
|Kyrgyzstan||Visa on arrival||60 days. Available at Manas International Airport.|
|Laos||Visa on arrival||30 days|
|Latvia||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Lebanon||Visa on arrival||1 month extendable for 2 additional months; granted free of charge at Beirut International Airport or any other port of entry if there is no Israeli visa or seal, holding a telephone number, an address in Lebanon, and a non refundable return or circle trip ticket.|
|Lesotho||Visa not required|
|Liechtenstein||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Lithuania||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Luxembourg||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Macedonia||Visa not required||90 days; ID card valid|
|Madagascar||Free visa on arrival||30 days|
|Malawi||Visa on arrival|
|Malaysia||Visa not required||30 days|
|Maldives||Visa on arrival||30 days|
|Marshall Islands||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Mauritania||Visa on arrival||Available at Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport.|
|Mauritius||Visa not required||90 days|
|Mexico||Visa not required||180 days|
|Micronesia||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Moldova||Visa not required||90 days within any 6 month period|
|Monaco||Visa not required||ID card valid|
|Montenegro||Visa not required||90 days; ID card valid for 30 days|
|Morocco||Visa not required||90 days|
|Mozambique||Visa on arrival||30 days|
|Myanmar||eVisa||28 days, eVisa holders must arrive via Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw or Mandalay airports.|
|Nepal||Visa on arrival||90 days|
|Netherlands||Visa not required||Freedom of movement (European Netherlands); ID card valid|
|New Zealand||Visa not required||3 months|
|Nicaragua||Visa not required||90 days|
|Norway||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Oman||Visa on arrival|
|Pakistan||Visa required||Visa on arrival when travelling on business valid for 30 days. Conditions apply.|
|Palau||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Panama||Visa not required||180 days|
|Papua New Guinea||Free visa on arrival||60 days|
|Paraguay||Visa not required||90 days|
|Peru||Visa not required||90 days within any 6 month period|
|Philippines||Visa not required||30 days|
|Poland||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Portugal||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Qatar||Visa on arrival||1 month|
|Romania||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Rwanda||eVisa||Visa is obtained online.|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Visa not required||3 months|
|Saint Lucia||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Samoa||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|San Marino||Visa not required||ID card valid|
|São Tomé and Príncipe||Visa not required||15 days|
|Saudi Arabia||Visa required|
|Senegal||Visa not required||90 days|
|Serbia||Visa not required||90 days within any 6 month period; ID card valid|
|Seychelles||Visa not required||3 months|
|Sierra Leone||Visa required|
|Singapore||Visa not required||90 days|
|Slovakia||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Slovenia||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Solomon Islands||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Somalia||Visa required||Visa may be obtained on arrival, provided an invitation letter by the sponsor had been submitted to the authorities before arrival.|
|South Africa||Visa not required||30 days|
|South Sudan||Visa required|
|Spain||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Sri Lanka||Electronic Travel Authorization||30 days|
|Swaziland||Visa not required||30 days|
|Sweden||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Switzerland||Visa not required||Freedom of movement; ID card valid|
|Tajikistan||Visa on arrival||45 days at Dushanbe International Airport. Visa also available online. E-visa holders can enter through all border points.|
|Tanzania||Visa not required||90 days|
|Thailand||Visa on arrival||15 days|
|Timor-Leste||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Togo||Visa on arrival||7 days|
|Tonga||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Tuvalu||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period days|
|Uganda||Visa not required||3 months|
|Ukraine||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|United Arab Emirates||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|United Kingdom||Visa not required||Freedom of movement (in Constituent countries); ID card valid|
|United States||Visa required|
|Uruguay||Visa not required||90 days|
|Vanuatu||Visa not required||90 days within any 180 day period|
|Vatican City||Visa not required||ID card valid|
|Venezuela||Visa not required||90 days|
|Zambia||Visa not required||90 days|
|Zimbabwe||Visa not required||3 months|
Visa requirements for Cypriot citizens for visits to various territories, disputed areas, partially recognized countries and restricted zones:
- Abkhazia — Visa required.
- Mount Athos — Special permit required (4 days: 25 euro for Orthodox visitors, 35 euro for non-Orthodox visitors, 18 euro for students). There is a visitors’ quota: maximum 100 Orthodox and 10 non-Orthodox per day and women are not allowed.
- Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park — visa-free for 3 days; must first obtain an electronic pass.
- Crimea — Visa issued by Russia is required.
- Faroe Islands — Visa not required.
- Gibraltar — Visa not required.
- Guernsey – Visa not required.
- Alderney – Visa not required.
- Sark – Visa not required.
- Isle of Man — Visa not required.
- Jan Mayen — permit issued by the local police required for staying for less than 24 hours and permit issued by the Norwegian police for staying for more than 24 hours.
- Jersey – Visa not required.
- Kosovo — visa free for 90 days.
- Nagorno-Karabakh Republic — Visa required (issued for single entry for 21 days/1/2/3 months or multiple entry visa for 1/2/3 months). Travellers with Nagorno-Karabakh visa (expired or valid) or evidence of travel to Nagorno-Karabakh (stamps) will be permanently denied entry to Azerbaijan.
- Closed cities and regions in Russia — special authorization required.
- South Ossetia — Visa free. Multiple entry visa to Russia and three-day prior notification are required to enter South Ossetia.
- Transnistria — Visa free. Registration required after 24h.
- Eritrea (outside Asmara) — visa covers Asmara only; to travel in the rest of the country, a Travel Permit for Foreigners is required (20 Eritrean nakfa).
- Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (Western Sahara controlled territory) — Visa not required up to 3 months.
- Somaliland — Visa issued on arrival (30 days for 30 US dollars, payable on arrival).
- Sudan — All foreigners traveling more than 25 kilometers outside of Khartoum must obtain a travel permit.
- Darfur — Separate travel permit is required.
- Hong Kong — Visa not required for 90 days.
- India — Protected Area Permit (PAP) required for whole states of Nagaland and Sikkim and parts of states Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh. Restricted Area Permit (RAP) required for all of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and parts of Sikkim. Some of these requirements are occasionally lifted for a year.
- Iraqi Kurdistan — Visa on arrival for 15 days is available at Erbil and Sulaymaniyah airports.
- Kazakhstan — Special permission required for the town of Baikonur and surrounding areas in Kyzylorda Oblast, and the town of Gvardeyskiy near Almaty.
- Kish Island — Visitors to Kish Island do not require a visa.
- Macao — Visa not required for 90 days.
- Sabah and Sarawak — These states have their own immigration authorities and passport is required to travel to them, however the same visa applies.
- Maldives — With the exception of the capital Malé, tourists are generally prohibited from visiting non-resort islands without the express permission of the Government of Maldives.
- Palestine — Visa not required. Arrival by sea to Gaza Strip not allowed.
- Taiwan — Visa not required for 90 days.
- Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Province — OIVR permit required (15+5 Tajikistani Somoni) and another special permit (free of charge) is required for Lake Sarez.
- Turkmenistan — A special permit, issued prior to arrival by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is required if visiting the following places: Atamurat, Cheleken, Dashoguz, Serakhs and Serhetabat.
- Tibet Autonomous Region — Tibet Travel Permit required (10 US Dollars).
- Korean Demilitarized Zone — restricted zone.
- UNDOF Zone and Ghajar — restricted zones.
- Phú Quốc — can visit without a visa for up to 30 days.
- Yemen — Special permission needed for travel outside Sana’a or Aden.
- Caribbean and North Atlantic
- Anguilla — Visa not required for 3 months.
- Aruba — Visa not required for 30 days.
- Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba — Visa not required for 3 months.
- Bermuda — Visa not required for 21 days (extendable).
- British Virgin Islands — Visa not required for 1 month (extendable).
- Cayman Islands — Visa not required for 6 months.
- Colombia — Visitors arriving at San Andrés and Leticia must buy tourist cards on arrival.
- Curacao — Visa not required for 3 months.
- Montserrat — Visa not required for 6 months.
- Greenland — Visa not required.
- Margarita Island — All visitors are fingerprinted.
- Puerto Rico — Visa required.
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon — Visa not required.
- Sint Maarten — Visa not required for 3 months.
- Turks and Caicos Islands — Visa not required for 90 days.
- U.S. Virgin Islands — Visa required.
- American Samoa — Visa required (entry permit).
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands — special authorisation required.
- Clipperton Island — special permit required.
- Cook Islands — Visa free access for 31 days.
- Lau Province — Special permission required.
- French Polynesia — Visa not required.
- Guam — Visa required.
- New Caledonia — Visa not required for 3 months.
- Niue — Visa on arrival valid for 30 days is issued free of charge.
- Northern Mariana Islands — Visa not required.
- Pitcairn Islands — 14 days visa free and landing fee 35 USD or tax of 5 USD if not going ashore.
- United States Minor Outlying Islands — special permits required for Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Atoll, Palmyra Atoll and Wake Island.
- Wallis and Futuna — Visa not required.
- South Atlantic and Antarctica
- Falkland Islands — Visitor Permit valid for 4 weeks is issued on arriva.
- Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
- Ascension Island — Entry Permit must be obtained minimum 28 days in advance (3 months for 20/30 pounds sterling, single/double entry).
- Saint Helena — Entry Permit (£25) for 183 days is issued on arrival.
- Tristan da Cunha — Permission to land required for 15/30 pounds sterling (yacht/ship passenger) for Tristan da Cunha Island or 20 pounds sterling for Gough Island, Inaccessible Island or Nightingale Islands.
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands — Pre-arrival permit from the Commissioner required (72 hours/1 month for 110/160 pounds sterling).
- Antarctica and adjacent islands — special permits required for French Southern and Antarctic Lands, Argentine Antarctica, Australian Antarctic Territory, Chilean Antarctic Territory, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Peter I Island, Queen Maud Land, Ross Dependency.
- Arab League — Certain countries will deny access to holders of Israeli visas or passport stamps of Israel because of the Arab League boycott of Israel. It is possible to get the stamp on a separate piece of paper.